Thursday, October 29, 2009

thank You thursday

Today I am thankful for something I see every Wednesday:



Okay, sure. I see our mailman on more than just Wednesdays, but I almost always see him on Wednesdays because we've just watched the garbage truck come and go. Wednesday, Wednesday, Wednesday. Wednesday. It was an odd enough word to start with, but seeing it 37 times only makes it worse.

Has anyone else heard that when a person exaggerates, he almost always uses some form of one particular number? I have found this to be true in my own experience - my number is three - but I'm interested to know if you might have noticed this as well.

Back to the point...

Hazel is like many other small children in that she is fascinated with trucks. I think I would appreciate her fascination a little more if she could pronouce the word correctly. Just imagine how often you've heard little ones say "I'm fwee years old," and then apply that principle (minus the "w") to truck, and you know how Hazel says it. Ouch! It hurts my ears just to think about how many times I've heard that word lately. Didn't we disconnect our cable to get rid of vulgarity in our house? Who knew the f-word would sneak its way back in via the sweet little mouth of an innocent little precious lamb baby honey sugar dear?

And again, the point...



I bought this book and its counterparts at the last consignment sale, and they have quickly become some of Hazel's favorites. The best part is that she now recognizes some of the trucks and spots them as we're scooting down the road. Enter the garbage truck and mail truck. Every Wednesday around noon, both trucks make their way to our house. Hazel is mesmorized by the garbage truck's nasty claw snatching up the garbage can and hoisting its contents onboard, but she loves the mail truck. Why? The mail man! We have the sweetest cutest little mailman you ever did see. I'd attempt to take his picture, but I think that might be a bit much... for him. (Not me.) Every time we catch the mail truck passing by, he is so careful to make eye contact with Hazel and share a wave. Seriously - is that not sweet? It makes her day every single time and a little giggle always escapes.

Thank You, Lord, for the kindness of strangers! Any good within us is only by Your grace, and sharing it with one another reminds us of Your infinite goodness.

3 comments:

Hisey Family said...

Trash day is an exciting day at our house too. :)

Krystal said...

I thought we'd have to worry about Audrey dropping the f-bomb at a young age, not little Hazel. LOL! JK Heather! (Kind of) Nice mailmen. I miss that about Oklahoma.

Gina said...

Eeeks about the word truck!!! Glad you have such a nice mailman. How so adorably cute of Hazel to think it's so fun to get a wave!!